Research Paper on Higher Education: Writing Tips & Ideas
A research paper is a must item as you pursue higher education. It is, therefore, crucial to familiarize yourself with the steps and approaches for writing a higher education paper to avoid various stumbling blocks when you are asked to prepare a research paper in education.
This article will offer tips and insights into writing a research paper on higher education and highlight tips to help you overcome common stumbling blocks for students writing a research paper.
How to write a paper in higher education
Although a research paper may seem a daunting task for beginners, a proper approach to writing your paper can help you achieve a quality paper with little struggle. Some of the key steps to handling a research paper topic on education include:
- Perform preliminary research
The first step to an outstanding research paper is to revisit your assignment and gauge the scope of the assignment. Often, tutors assign a general idea, allowing you to select your preferred topic within the general idea.
Before you rush into writing your paper, read about the overall topic to determine the areas that are yet to be exhausted. Also, gauge the rubric for your faculty, to make an informed decision on your preferred topic.
You could also check the emerging issues within the general topic, having a better idea of the topics at your disposal.
- Select a topic
After conducting preliminary research, you are better placed to select a relevant research problem within the general idea. However, selecting the first topic that crosses your sight is an approach that’s bound to cause struggles in the latter writing stages.
Ideally, check a topic that is both interesting to you and easy to analyse. You could gauge the available resources for the topic to ensure an easy time establishing the main arguments for your research topic.
After establishing your topic, conduct extensive research to identify the extent of knowledge within your topic. This step will expose you to the gaps that could be addressed within your research and also widen your perspective toward a research idea.
During the research, jot down the key arguments you encounter and support statements for your essay. This will allow you to prepare an outline easily, making for a smooth experience writing your paper.
- Formulate your thesis
A thesis is a tether to which all claims within your paper are anchored. It is thus futile to start writing your paper without establishing your key perspective on the topic. The thesis should capture the key argument you are analysing within your research paper. Ideally, consult your peers and the tutor with a list of ideas for insight on the thesis statement that best addresses your research topic.
- Develop an outline for your paper
After establishing your thesis and researching your topic, sort your ideas to get a coherent, smooth-flowing argument. The outline allows you to write your paper without losing focus of your key arguments and also helps you gauge the sections that require additional research.
- Draft your paper
Having prepared your outline, drafted your essay while used various tools to ensure a smooth flow for the reader. You should consider chunking your writing sessions to ensure maximum productivity for each writing session.
- Revise your paper
After writing your paper, revisit the outline for each chapter to ensure that you have expressed all the relevant information within your paper. Also, check the guidelines that had been provided for your paper and ensure that your paper has met all the standards set by your faculty/ tutor.
- Write your introduction
Many experts recommend that you write your introduction after completing your paper. this is because you are properly accustomed to the entirety of your arguments and can thus condense your key points to better sell your paper to the reader.
Finally, edit your paper to ensure, structural, grammatical, and styling integrity. Here, take phases to check for various errors and seek help from experts to navigate your editing phase fast without compromising your paper’s quality.
How to research for a paper on education
Although the importance of in-depth research cannot be adequately stressed, many students face a challenge in investigating a white paper in higher education. Where do I start? What sources should I consider? These are some of the questions you ought to consider when conducting your paper’s research.
When going about academic research:
- Consider starting off by running your main keyword through various search engines. This will allow you to familiarize yourself with the topic and gauge the sources relating to your topic.
- Next, seek journals, books, and publications relating to your general topic and take time to familiarize yourself with various concepts under your wider topic. This is specifically important for your literature review as it allows you a wide range of ideas from which you can highlight various research gaps.
- Search for the emerging issues within the general topic and narrow your focus to a single topic.
- Use various referencing sites and the library to search for materials related to your specific topic.
With the information yielded up to this point, you can easily go about your paper and back each claim made in your essay without risking plagiarism claims.
Tips for writing a research paper on education
- Preferably, write your introduction last to clearly present the main arguments within your paper.
- Chunk your writing into phases and outline each section separately for a better glimpse of your overall research paper.
- Develop a reverse outline and compare it with your initial outline to gauge the improvements that ought to be made in your essay
- When working on a tight deadline, delegate editing for each chapter as you handle the next, to ensure the timely delivery of quality work.